Even if your office is diligent about controlling the clutter throughout the year, you probably end up with random piles and files full of paper. It’s time for a little spring cleaning, so grab your tools and get ready to organize, sort, and digitize.
Making De-Cluttering Easy
Paper causes a significant amount of clutter around the office, and more importantly, it can cause security and productivity issues. Sensitive data can be lost or fall into the wrong hands when it’s unorganized, and spending hours searching for paper isn’t our idea of staying productive.
So it’s time to conquer the paper beast. Don’t worry; with the right tools and a little coffee, you’ll have the office clutter-free in no time.
- A scanner
- A shredder
- A document management system
- A filing cabinet
- A recycling bin
- Post-it notes for temporary labeling while you work
Here’s how to make it simple. Sort your paper into three piles (we recommend using bins to keep things organized):
Let’s examine what goes into each bin.
- Shred: These are the documents that contain sensitive information and should be destroyed, no matter how old they are. Look for personal employee or client information such as contact information, social security number, and financial data.
- Recycle: This bin is for paper that has no use and is ready to get tossed. Don’t throw it in the trash, though: be sure to recycle.
- Digitize: These are the papers that need to be kept, whether for regulatory or company purposes. Use your document scanner to input them into your document management system and organize them for easy access later. If needed, keep a hard copy and file it in your filing cabinet.
For more information about document management, contact us.